Information for Staff

A range of information and resources are available for staff and managers to help address issues rising from COVID-19:

We ask staff to hold as many university business meetings as possible by A/V link or other remote means. All UNSW staff have access to Microsoft Teams. Microsoft Teams is a communication and collaboration platform that combines persistent workplace chat, video meetings, file storage (including collaboration on files), and application integration.

UNSW IT is hosting remote Teams training sessions. Register here.

We are aware that some staff may need to take care of children who are unable to attend school due to NSW Government advice. You may be eligible for carer’s leave. Please contact your manager for further details. 

If you do not have a suitable UNSW laptop or appropriate IT equipment to work remotely please complete the Equipment Request Form on the IT website. Before completing the form please speak to your nominated Faculty Executive Director, Divisional Head/Director or equivalent, or Line Manager.

We understand that not all of you will have everything you need to make a comfortable home office environment which is why we are allowing you to borrow the following items (provided they were already allocated to you prior to your work from home arrangements):

  • Desk chair
  • Footrest
  • Laptop stand
  • Other non-bulky office equipment

The University is concerned about your safety and wellbeing, and this includes the risk of injury from lifting and carrying heavy equipment in and out of vehicles. Given this risk you are not permitted to remove bulky items. This includes:

  • Sit/stand desks
  • Printers
  • Other bulky office equipment.

You should also refrain from removing stationery, printer ink, toner and other office consumables.

You are allowed to collect any permitted items for as long as the UNSW campus remains open.  

If you have a pre-existing condition, which prevents safe movement of equipment to a vehicle, UNSW Security will be able to assist (between 8am – 5pm) if you make the request in advance. Security may ask for an email from your Manager or HR Business Partner.

Managers are responsible for tracking borrowed items at a local level.  All borrowed items must be returned to UNSW upon return to work. You will be required to reimburse UNSW for any items that you do not return.

No. UNSW expenditure for home office equipment and consumables (both IT and non-IT) is not permitted.

The one exception is if you have a pre-existing, documented, medical, ergonomic requirement. You will first need to discuss options with either your HR Business Partner or Line Manager and obtain written approval. Costs will be incurred at a local level (not centrally funded).

You must use one of UNSWs approved ergonomic equipment suppliers from the below list:

  • Winya
  • Watts Furniture
  • Schiavello 
  • Work Arena

No. UNSW Credit Cards must not be used to purchase equipment for use at home. If you have already used a UNSW Credit Card to purchase working from home equipment, you will be required to reimburse UNSW. The only exception is if you have a pre-existing, documented, medical, ergonomic requirement as outlined above. Procurement must also be from the same approved suppliers as outlined above.

If you are unable to borrow or collect items, you may be able to claim a deduction for some expenses incurred. For further information visit the Working from Home page of the Australian Tax Office website.

If you would like to make a contribution to support students or staff in need or to support one of the COVID-19 research initiatives, you can use the UNSW staff giving portal.

If staff require support, they should talk to their manager. UNSW also provides support services for staff members through its free and confidential counselling service, Benestar, the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).